Critical Analysis Reflection

Ana Perez

Prof. McIntosh

ENG 210

December 2, 2021

Reflection

The thesis statement in this paper was a bit challenging to draft because there were so many components and keeping it through the entire paper was difficult. While I was researching this topic I would keep my thesis in mind so that I can keep the argument flowing, but also not move away from the article’s thesis. I had trouble finding information to cover the part where education came in place. I found a lot of examples of careers that face the wage gap, but I want to bring emphasis on the education part because as we know education has a big influence on the wage gap. It was difficult to find information on how education affects job probability. I was only finding basic concepts and information. I wanted to go deeper into why this is the case when some men and women have the same educational background, and the wage gap is still happening.

Analyzing the text was a bit challenging because I did not want to sound repetitive. The quotes I chose were very straightforward and when it comes to explaining or analyzing there is the probability of repeating. For example, I had this quote, “The gender pay gap in the United States (US) has narrowed over the last several decades, with the female/male earnings ratio in the US increased from about 60% before the 1980s to about 79% by 2014” (Chen 2021).” This is a very straightforward quote, what did to explain was state why this is happening so is not repetitive. The reason the gap has narrowed is due to the addition of women in the workforce. The sources I chose were specifically for my thesis statement. My five sources covered a piece of my thesis, I have a source for the education part of my thesis, the racial reasons the gap exists, and the one for the general and background information needed for the essay.